Here are some of the most asked questions from new users about the PDM App for mobile.
If you can't find the answer to your question here, please contact us and we will be glad to help you.
This is for several reasons:
- The iPhone has a smaller screen than most Android devices which can make the on-screen
signature tool a little difficult to use.
- iPad tablet devices do not always have GPS (generally GPS is not available on WiFi-only
models). This means that the courier tracking and "exact location recording" are not so
- On iOS devices (iPhone/iPad) the courier tracking gets paused when the user switches to
another app (for example, the user may switch to the Maps app for directions to the next
delivery). This is because iOS pauses all operations in an app when another app is being
used for performance reasons.
- Due to the open architecture of Android we are able to add new features and updates more
quickly to the Android mobile app. Some new features that we are currently working on may
not be included in the iOS version due to incompatibility issues.
When choosing a device we recommend the following device specifications:
- Built-in GPS: This is required for accurate courier tracking
- Built-in WiFi: This is required if you do not have a mobile data contract
- Built-in rear-facing high-resolution camera with auto-focus: This is required for using the
- A mobile data contract (1Gb per month should be more than enough as the app does not use
- Unlimited texts contract: A good idea if you are going to use the device for sending out the
automated delivery notifications to customers
- A large screen
- Good battery life.
PDM App should work on any 4th generation Android phone or tablet.
The short answer is No.
PDM App can be used on devices that only have a WiFi connection as the app only needs to
have access to the internet when you login. After you have logged in the app will cache all changes
you make whilst there is no internet connection available. When you next connect to
a WiFi network, the app will sync all data in the cache with PDM Web.
The disadvantage of not using a mobile data connection is that the courier tracking will not be 'live'
- you will have to wait until the device is next connected to WiFi in order to view the tracking data
in PDM Web.
Average usage is around 500Mb per month. However, if using the map screen in the app or an
external map app for directions and navigation this amount may be higher.
Yes. All updates are cached in the mobile devices' memory and synchronised with the PDM Web
database as soon as an Internet data connection is available.
Changes made in PDM App
If PDM App has an internet connection, updates to Tasks will synchronise with the cloud database immediately. Other changes, including location tracking, will sync every 5 minutes.
If there is no internet connection, then the changes will sync within 5 minutes of a connection being established, provided that PDM App is running and open on the main screen of your mobile device. If the app is running in the background (if the screen is locked or in use by another app, for example) it will only sync with PDM Web within 5 minutes of PDM App being open again on the screen.
Once the data has been synchronised with the cloud database, the changes will generally be available for other users to view within a minute.
Changes made in PDM Web
Changes made in PDM Web will generally synchronise and be viewable to PDM App users within a minute.